Monday 13 February 2012

McVicker of Ballynaris and Ballylough 2


Leslie and her husband visited their ancestral roots in June 2011 and hope to return again soon. I've just received this email:

"While researching family genealogy, I came across a letter on your blog from a Leslie Burke, looking for info on her McVicker Family.  Her great-grandparents, Sarah McVicker and Joseph McLean, are also the great-grandparents of my mother-in-law. I can add info...

The only son that Leslie has no info on is William McVicker who ended up in Liverpool NSW, Australia.

William John McVicker was born in Ballyhunsley abt 1858. He married Mary SHIRLEY on 10th Feb 1882 in Ireland. Mary was born in Ballyrobin abt 1860. They immigrated to Australia and have a son James born in NSW in 1885, a son William John McVicker born in 1887, son Samuel in 1892, son Harold George born 1895, and daughter Mabel Elsie born in 1899.

The parents of William John were Hugh McVicker and Jane (Moore). Mary's parents were James SHIRLEY and Mary (?).

I got this info from curiousfox.com, posted by another descendent looking for more info on the clan.  If Leslie needs any more info on the family after their arrival in the US, I'd be happy to share what I can and can be reached at this email address.  Please forward it.  Thank you."